Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bear Buns

After the turkey bread got me thinking about turkey rolls for Thanksgiving, I started wondering how time consuming they would be to make.

I didn't want to ruin the turkey surprise though, with a trial run. So instead, I downsized the bear bread we tried out a few weeks ago, for lunch today. It's the same thing, just a different shape.

Here's the lowdown:
  • 5 minutes to dump the ingredients into the bread maker.
  • 1 hour for the bread maker to run through the dough setting.
  • 25 minutes to form a dozen bears (add at least 10 minutes more for the turkeys).
  • No extra rising time needed for the rolls.
  • 25 minutes in the oven (still at 350 degrees, just as for the bread).
  • 15 minutes for cleanup, but it overlaps with the bread maker, and oven time.

In turkey form, they would be very nice Thanksgiving rolls, though they are definitely more time, and labor, consuming than say - a tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.
From dumping the first ingredients into the bread maker, to sitting down for lunch, with a clean kitchen, it was 2 hours, but only about a half an hour was hands on time, and 25 minutes was oven time.

I'm not sure if I'll try them for Thanksgiving, or not. But, in bear form, they made for an awfully cute lunch, today.

For another, and easier, turkey roll idea, check out this link, thanks to a comment from Phasejumper.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Shoot, between the turkey bread and the bear rolls, I think you could do a virtual zoo at your Thanksgiving Day Feast! :0)

Christy Killoran said...

That is a very cute lunch.

Ticia said...

Hmmmm...... This has me thinking we could do it with the rolls I've got frozen in the oven.......

Debbie said...

These are so cute and look so yummy. I still like the idea of Turkey rolls for Thanksgiving.

phasejumper said...

Thanks for the mention! I feel famous!

Kate said...

Planning on doing a bear theme soon for my toddler and these look like a perfect food activity. Thanks.

Jackie Higgins said...

Hmmm, I'm in charge of bread for thanksgiving. Maybe I'll have to make some shaped bread for the kids.